Thursday, August 25, 2016

TWENT(EEN)Y


I have always feared adulthood. For some unknown reason, the thought of leaving my teenage years behind has always been frightening for me. I'm scared of being on my own and making decisions that will obviously have a great impact on my life. I'm afraid to make mistakes that may scar me forever and I just can't imagine not having both my mom and my dad guiding me in every step I take. I'm so used to being dependent that I fear opening this new chapter in my life "alone".   

But when I woke up on that sunny day of August 24, all those unpleasant thoughts suddenly vanished. I faced the day with a smile on my lips because my morning was filled with greetings from friends, family members, long-lost relatives, teachers, org-mates, and even simple acquaintances. I though I couldn't be any happier until...




... Miguel, the love of my life, surprised me with balloons, a cake, and a beautiful bouquet of roses. My mom prepared a special dinner for me, and my friends Dan and Keanu handed me their nice gifts as well. My dad and my grandparents also made me feel their love despite the great distance between us through a video call.





This day would not have been as fun if it weren't for the people who made an effort to go out of their way and make it extra special. Tears almost welled up in my eyes because of the extreme happiness that I felt.

I used to fear adulthood. But now that I have realized that I have all these loving, caring, and supportive people by my side, I don't think there's still a reason for me to feel frightened.

"Life is one big scary unknown" but I think that's the best part about it. No one is ever sure of what's going to happen next so each day becomes a new adventure that we just have to enjoy and survive.

So this is me bidding goodbye to all my fears and welcoming with open arms whatever I have yet to experience in my life. I'm finally ready to face adulthood and I hope I'll enjoy the ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ENVISAGING POSSIBILITIES Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos